Small and Medium Enterprises Development Institute (SMEDI) is a parastatal organization under the Ministry of Industry. It was established on 1st February 2013 under the Trustees Incorporation Act (Cap. 5:3) of the Laws of Malawi.
The mandate of SMEDI is to promote the development and growth of sustainable Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Malawi through direct intervention and/or partnering with key stakeholders and other role players to; create an enabling environment; facilitate access to finance, information and markets for MSMEs and provide relevant, needs-based business development services.
An employment opportunity has arisen at SMEDI for the vacant post of Director of Planning and Development (Grade SME 2) reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The post is tenable at the SMEDI Head Office in Lilongwe. The person should be results-oriented and a self-starter willing to take challenges to make the department vibrant and create new revenue streams for the organization.
Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position. The applicants must have the following qualifications and attributes:
• Master’s Degree in Economics, Social Science or Commerce from a recognized and accredited tertiary institution.
• At least seven (7) years’ progressive experience at management level in planning and development and research;
• Undertaking of practical research and preparation of coherent research proposals, consultancies and funding proposals and dissemination of results.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
• Sound knowledge in strategic planning and research.
• Strong analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills: writing and verbal
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to multi task and meet deadlines.
As a Head of Planning and Development Directorate, the successful candidate will among other things be responsible for:
1. Lead in the development and review of corporate strategic and business plans;
2. Provide technical advice on issues of economic and development planning;
3. Participate in planning and preparation of budgets in line with corporate goals;
4. Lead in the resource mobilization for the institute to supplement government subvention;
5. Undertake research on critical areas of business and areas that can assist SMEs’ development in Malawi and also
guide in promulgation of new policy areas to develop the SME sector;
6. Attend executive management meetings for strategic and business review;
7. prepare proposals to Donor organizations, NGOs and other relevant partners to attract funding for SMEDI;
8. Prepare proposals to win new business areas for SMEDI;
9. Undertake consultancy and research as a way of generating revenue for the organization;
10. Create a vibrant Business Advisory services as a critical area in the SMEDI set up;
11. Participate in negotiating for Development Partner funded projects;
12. Consolidate reports on performance trends of the Institute and proposing remedial measures;
13. Participate in the development of performance indicators for the Institute;
14. Develop and review Marketing and Business Development strategies, systems and practices;
15. Attend and participate in management and Board meetings and preparing required papers;
16. Collaborate with partners to ensure collection of relevant data for effective M&E system.
Applications with detailed curriculum vitae with at least three names of relevant and traceable referees should be sent to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P O Box 30061
Closing date for receiving the applications: Friday, 25th June, 2021: