Small and Medium Enterprises Development Institute (SMEDI) is a parastatal organization under the Ministry of Industry. It was established on 1st February 2013 under the Trustees Incorporation Act (Cap. 5:3) of the Laws of Malawi.
The mandate of SMEDI is to promote the development and growth of sustainable Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Malawi through direct intervention and/or partnering with key stakeholders and other role players to; create an enabling environment; facilitate access to finance, information and markets for MSMEs and provide relevant, needs-based business development services.
An employment opportunity has arisen at SMEDI for the vacant post of Director of Corporate Services (Grade SME 2) reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The post is tenable at the SMEDI Head Office in Lilongwe. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position.
Applicants must have the following qualifications and attributes:
• A minimum of Masters’ Degree in Business Administration or a professional qualification in Accounting – ACCA, CIMA, ACA.
• At least seven (7) years’ progressive experience at management level in financial and human resource management;
• Heading a Corporate services department and preparation of management accounts, reports, annual financial statements and statutory requirements.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
• Sound knowledge of financial management and HR regulations and policies.
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to multi task and meet deadlines
• Ability to work in a team with leadership skills for coaching and developing employees
• Mature and good communicator with adequate negotiation skills
• Membership to relevant professional bodies.
As a Head of Finance and HR and Administration divisions, the successful candidate will among other things be responsible for:
1. Providing advice and guidance to the CEO and the management team on financial, Human Resource and Administration issues;
2. reparation of sound accounting statements, management accounts within required timelines for sound decision making;
3. Leading in strategic, financial and human resource planning;
4. Preparing and submitting annual budgets and reports on financial, human resource and administrative matters to the Board for review, consideration and approval;
5. Identifying gaps in financial management, HR and administration practices and policies and making appropriate recommendations;
6. Establishing and maintaining internal controls to ensure compliance with financial and human resources legislations, policies and procedures;
7. Providing direction and advising management on the performance evaluation of staff and providing training and development opportunities to staff;
8. Initiating the engagement of external auditors to conduct audits and providing necessary assistance and information to them;
9. Administering performance and reward management systems, processes and procedures in accordance with the code of conduct and administration of discipline;
10. Conducting training needs analysis, developing a training plan and ensuring its implementation to meet staff training and development needs;
11. Attending and participating in management and Board meetings and preparing required papers;
12. Overseeing the development, implementation and maintenance of inventory, property and fleet management systems.
Applications with detailed curriculum vitae with at least three names of relevant and traceable referees should be sent to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P O Box 30061
Closing date for receiving the applications: Friday, 25th June, 2021: