SMEDI offers its services to the public through 3 core departments namely: Business Training Coordination, Business Information Clearing House and Planning and Research. These departments are supported by the department of Administration and Finance. 5 Small & Medium Enterprise Development Institute
This focuses on entrepreneurship and Business Management training and coordination services for start-up and existing businesses. It involves the following:
– Conducting training programs to trainers of prospective entrepreneurs and startups.
– Assessing training requirements of MSMEs in relation to current offerings by service
– Identifying potential service providers to close the gaps in MSMEs training and
collaborate with them to offer required training program.
– Accrediting training providers prior to qualifying for listing in the MSMEs business
network directory or being recommended as an official trainer.
This focuses on provision of business information to MSMEs and other stakeholders. It involves the following:
– Operating a “One Stop Information Centre” for start-ups and established MSMEs.
– Facilitating linkages between MSMEs and financial institutions.
– Managing MSME information and data and disseminate information to MSMEs.
– Linking MSMEs with potential to access new markets.
This focuses on building capacity of MSMES under the following areas:
– Sensitizing MSMES to benefit from Preferential Provision in Public Procurement and
Disposal of Assets Act
– Preparing MSMEs to meet the required quality and quantity (capacity) before bidding
– Assist MSMEs to participate in actual bidding process
– Advocating for establishment of Inter-Institutional Technical Working Groups on MSME issues
– Enabling MSMEs to understand some Trade Legal Laws, Acts and Policies
– Advocating for development and implementation of Legislative Reforms
This focusses on MSME research and policy advocacy activities involving the following:
– Carrying out surveys on particular topics to MSMEs
– Proactively plan and carry out assessment needs and data collection for different
– Identifying areas in which SMEDI can support implementation of MSME policy.
– Carrying out formal assessments of MSMEs financial need.